Bristol Waste at the Balloon Fiesta

Bristol Waste Company litter letters at Bristol Balloon Fiesta

Bristol Waste urges the city to recycle at home as they do at the Bristol International Balloon Fiesta

Bristol International Balloon Fiesta is joining forces with Bristol Waste to celebrate the amount of waste successfully recycled at the event each year and encourage Bristol to keep the good work going at home.

Despite the fact that hundreds of thousands of people will visit the Fiesta site at Ashton Court Estate from Thursday 11th to Sunday 14th August, an incredible 86 percent of the waste will be recycled. The remaining 14 percent will be sent for energy recovery, meaning no waste produced at the four day event will be sent to landfill.

The cubes show average weekly recycling waste volume per Bristol household – the filled area is the amount we actually recycle

This recycling rate is well above the household rate achieved in Bristol. Bristol Waste will use the event as an example of good practice, praising visitors on the great effort made at the event but urging them to apply the same practices when they return home.
A new animation illustrating how much more the city could recycle each week and each year has been created using visuals of the solar hot air balloon and Ashton Court Estate, highlighting the size of the opportunity.

The company has also animated the size of the city’s litter mountain to highlight the significant challenge of keeping the city’s streets clean.

Waste is a shared responsibility and Bristol Waste is committed to playing its part but we do need the support of all Bristol’s citizens
Tracey Morgan, managing director of Bristol Waste, commented: “We’re interested in bringing to life the challenges of recycling and litter collection in the city. Waste is a shared responsibility and Bristol Waste is committed to playing its part but we do need the support of all Bristol’s citizens”.

Bristol Waste, the company which is in charge of keeping the city clean and collecting its waste and recycling, is the official partner for this year’s Bristol International Balloon Fiesta. Aiming to make Bristol a cleaner city, Bristol Waste is committed to working in partnership with the people of Bristol to help all communities recycle more and throw away less.

Keeping the streets tidy is a monumental task. 450 BRISTOL WASTE staff keep 800 miles of streets and footpaths clean and collect 140,000 tonnes of waste and recycling per annum, of which currently 53,000 tonnes is sent for composting or recycling.

If you enjoyed this blog, go ahead and share it!